Garbage disposals, if maintained properly, can last up to about 15 years! But with all that wear and tear from daily use. Things are bound to get clogged or jammed up and you will need a garbage disposal repair or replacement service.
If you start to notice slow draining or unusual grinding sounds. It might be time to call Sam Jolley Plumbing to come to check things out and repair your garbage disposal. We offer free estimates on all of our services and strive to be your favorite plumbers.
Types Of Garbage Disposal Repair We Fix
- Continuous Feed– These are the most popular. Food is placed into the disposal, using a switch to turn it on. After the food is ground up, it falls through small holes onto a spinning plate where it is then washed down the drain.
- Batch Feed– Similar to using continuous feed disposal, the only difference is the way it is turned on. You place a specific stopper on top and turn it. The stopper activates a switch and then it is then turned on.
- Dishwasher Garbage Disposals-These are found inside the actual dishwasher and are activated when the washer is on. It functions the same way continuous feed disposal works.
Common Garbage Disposal Problems
- Jamming– If you can turn the unit on, and its humming but nothing is being ground. More than likely a small particle has lodged itself between the blades causing it to stop spinning. Sometimes it is caused by bits of plastic or broken glass that accidentally fell down the drain,
- Overheating– If you turn the unit on and nothing happens as all, it is probably overheated. This is caused when the disposal has been overfilled and it trips itself off. It might be as easy as pushing a button.
- Motor Issues– Depending on how old the unit is and how often it is used, the motor might be on its way out.
Garbage Disposal Repair Cost
Depending on the type of disposal in your home. It might just be a quick fix by unclogging the pipes or removing debris that has caused a jam. Repairs are relatively cheap. Replacing the entire unit can be a bit more expensive, but it will give you peace of mind knowing that you have a brand new unit. Contact Sam Jolley Plumbing to find the best fit for you and your family.